Please join us on Thursday 9 November at Carver (7650 Sapperton Ave, Burnaby) for information about the middle and high school years programs. The session will begin at 7 pm.
Some of the topics we'll be covering:
How will we support all learners?
What enrichment/acceleration options will be offered?
Will Encounter Days and PEAK Week continue?
What will the cultural outreach trips be like?
What kinds of clubs, extracurriculars, and sports teams can students expect?
Will there be uniforms?
What will the athletic program look like?
Transportation--will busing continue, and from where?
The info session is open to all Carver parents and gr 8 - 11 students, as well as to any families interested in middle or high school at VCS (invite your friends!)
Come take a tour and hear about our K-12 campus for September 2018! Applications for 2018/19 accepted as of 1:30 pm on Thursday, 19 October 2017.
Please check out all the workshops we are offering. We encourage you to sign up to attend as they highlight some of the best ways we can help students succeed: School and Home Partnership! Please sign up here. This event will take place at the Broadway campus, beginning at 7 pm.
Who should come?
- Parents of K-6 students
- Parents who would like to support their children’s reading comprehension
- Parents who would like a spelling refresher or would like to go beyond the basics of the spelling program
- Any K-5 parents new to the school and to our spelling program
- Parents who want to support their children in the area of media and digital literacy
- Parents who feel out of their depth as their children start to use more technology
- Adults only; this event is not for children and we will not have childcare.
Kindergarten parents - essentials:
- Phonological Awareness and Phonograms
- Reading Together
Grade one parents - essentials:
- Spelling Level 1
- Reading comprehension strategies
Parents new to VCS with children older than kindergarten:
- Spelling Level 1 is essential!
- Spelling Level 2 once you’ve had level 1
- Reading comprehension strategies (for gr 1-3) or Intermediate Comprehension (gr 4-6)
Parents who have already taken our essential workshops:
- math games
- the new Intermediate Comprehension workshop
- any of the other sessions
Session 1: 7:00 – 7:45
Spelling: Level 1 - for parents of grade one children and new students grades 2-5
Math Games to Support Number Concepts - for parents of children grades 1 and up
Phonological awareness and Phonograms - especially for kindergarten parents
Home Internet Control - parental control software options
Social Media - how to be smart with your kids
Porn-Proofing Today’s Kids - prepare for important conversations with your children
Session 2: 7:50 – 8:35
Reading comprehension strategies - for parents of children grades 1 and up
Reading Together - for kindergarten parents
Phonological awareness and Phonograms (repeat) - especially for kindergarten parents
Beyond Google - great online research resources you can use at home
Home Internet Control (repeat) - parental control software options
Porn-Proofing Today’s Kids (repeat) - prepare for important conversations with your children
Session 3: 8:40 - 9:25
Spelling: Level 1 (repeat) - for parents of grade one children and new students grades 2-5
Reading Together (repeat) - for kindergarten parents
Spelling: Level 2 - gr. 2-5 focus – Spelling level 1 is a prerequisite!
Beyond Google (repeat) - great online research resources you can use at home
Classroom and Chromebooks - try out the tools your gr 4-6 child is using at school
Intermediate Comprehension - especially for parents of gr 4-6 students
For Kindergarten to Grade 5 Parents only